Monday, January 2, 2012

A Lesson on Perspective

I opted to spend the New Year holiday in the homeland. On the way I stopped at a Tim Hortons for my ritual English Breakfast tea.  I stepped up to the counter and got waited on by a guy who was likely 18 years old. I ordered my tea and handed over my Tims card.  For those  not blessed by  such things, it's a re-loadable plastic gift card kind of thing, a necesssity in the past for someone who never carries cash in the days that Tims didn't take credit or debit cards.

When I passed over my card, the young server behind the counter looked at my card with astonishment and said..I kid you not... " WOW, is this ever old, how long have you had this???". Keep in mind the Tims card program has only been around for a few years ( 2-3 I'm thinking). I could tell he could barely contain himself from running to his co-worker with my ancient card or whipping out his iphone so he could share his vintage find with his friends on facebook. I merely smiled and told him "It's one of the original cards from when the program started long ago" and he stared at it and shook his head saying "I've never EVER seen one that old before". I felt like saying "if you wanna see old, you should see my birth certificate!".

1 comment: